May 2014 CCC Meeting
May 12 – 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
The Council Coordination Committee (CCC) consists of the chairs, vice chairs, and executive directors from each regional fishery management council (council), or other staff, as appropriate. The CCC meets twice each year to discuss issues relevant to all councils, including issues related to the implementation of the MSA. The Mid-Atlantic Council hosted the May 2014 CCC meeting in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The meeting agenda, briefing materials, and presentations from the meeting are posted below.
- Action Items (Updated 5/28/14)
- Scroll down to view an Action Item Status Update (posted 7/10/14)
- Terms of Reference for the Council Coordination Committee (Updated 5/15/14)
- Meeting Transcript (Updated 7/28/2014)
- Download all briefing documents (7.3 MB) Updated: 5/13/14
- May 2014 Meeting Agenda
- Council Reports
- Budget Issues - 2014 and 2015 Budgets, Saltonstall-Kennedy Funding
- Habitat Issues
- Topic Overview
- Opportunities for FMC and Place-Based Habitat Conservation Program Coordination
- Presentation: Linking Habitat to Fishery Productivity Correigh Greene
- Presentation: NOAA Fisheries Habitat Objectives and Initiatives Kara Meckley
- MSA reauthorization
- Working Group Assignments
- Working Group Reports:
- MAFMC Legislative Affairs Webpage (includes links to Congressional testimonies and other resources)
- Allocation Working Group Report
- Bycatch Issues
- IUU Certification Report (2015)
- Climate Change and Fisheries
- Presentation: Impacts of Climate Change on Marine Fisheries Dr. Jon Hare
- Presentation: Climate Change and Fisheries Governance Workshop Overview John Henderschedt
- Supplemental: MAFMC Climate Change and Fisheries Governance Web Page
- NOAA Recreational Summit
- Presentation: 2014 National Recreational Saltwater Fishing Summit Russ Dunn
- NMFS OLE and USCG Fisheries Enforcement Activities
- Operational Guidelines
- Science Issues
- Terms of Reference for the Council Coordination Committee
- National SSC
- Stock Assessment Prioritization
- Presentation: Implementing an Assessment Prioritization Process, Rick Methot
- Electronic Technologies Initiative Update
- Presentation: Electronic Technologies - Regional Implementation Plan Development Process George Lapointe
Action Items - Status Update
Action: Form a cross-Council Habitat working group, comprised of Council staff habitat experts (with the exception of the Pacific Council at this time).
- Status: Habitat working group established
- Council Staff Members:
- Jessica Coakley (MAFMC)
- John Froeschke (GFMC)
- Michelle Bachman (NEFMC)
- Roger Pugliese (SAFMC)
- Graciela GarcIa-Moliner (CFMC)
- Dave Witherell (NPFMC)
- TBD (WPFMC)
- NMFS Members:
- Lou Chiarella (GARFO)
- David Dale (SERO)
- Matthew Eagleton (AKRO)
- John Stadler (WCRO)
- Robert Schroeder (PIRO)
- Terra Lederhouse (OHC)
- Council Staff Members:
Action: Develop and transmit a letter with consensus statements.
- Status: CCC Comment Letter on MSA Reauthorization Issues completed and transmitted on June 20th.
Action: Develop a working paper to address the following issues in more detail.
- Status: Draft Working Paper on MSA Issues completed January 5, 2015.
Action: Task WG2 with completion of NEPA white paper and further development of a CCC position on other federal statutes relative to MSA Reauthorization.
- Status: Under development.
Action: Form a Legislative Committee to follow these issues.
- Status: No action taken yet. Mid-Atlantic Council staff recommends postponing establishment of a legislative committee until there are additional opportunities for the CCC to comment on MSA reauthorization.
Allocation Review Working Group
Action: Adopt the hybrid approach as described in the presentation:
Form CCC working group to develop comments on adaptive management and the timing of, and criteria for, allocation review, and support for an 'agency-initiated' process for developing the broader policy guidelines.
- Status: Allocation Review Working Group established.
- John Henderschedt (chair)
- Rick Robins
- Lee Anderson
- Terry Stockwell
- Michelle Duval
- Eugenio Pineiro
- Kevin Anson
- Dorothy Lowman
Action: Adopt draft outline as advisory.
- Status: No additional action required.
Oceana Bycatch Response
Action: Send letter to Oceana following additional review by the CCC.
- Status: CCC Comment Letter in Response to Wasted Catch Report submitted June 18, 2014.
Action: Move forward with the objectives, with incorporation of previously submitted edits.
- Status: Workshop held August 19-21 at the Alaska Fisheries Science Center in Seattle, WA.
Action: Complete revisions to the CCC Terms of Reference
- Status: Terms of Reference for the Council Coordination Committee completed 5/15/2014.
Action: Approve National SSC V, pending availability of funding.
- Status: National SSC V held February 23 – 25, 2015 in Honolulu, HI.