The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council will hold six public hearings in May 2017 to solicit public input on the Chub Mackerel Amendment to the Atlantic Mackerel, Squid, and Butterfish Fishery Management Plan (FMP). The Council is also soliciting written comments on the amendment through May 31, 2017.
The amendment considers measures to manage Atlantic chub mackerel (Scomber colias) as a stock in the Atlantic Mackerel, Squid, and Butterfish FMP with catch limits, accountability measures, and other conservation and management measures required by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. The Council is developing this action in response to the recent development of a directed chub mackerel commercial fishery in the Mid-Atlantic and Southern New England.
- Thursday, May 4, 2017, 7:00-9:00 pm. Kingsborough Community College, room V-219. 2001 Oriental Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY, 11235. Telephone: 718-368-5000.
- Monday, May 15, 2017, 6:00-7:30 pm. Virginia Marine Resources Commission 4th Floor Meeting Room. 2600 Washington Avenue, Newport News, VA, 23607. Telephone: 757-247-2200.
- Tuesday May 16, 2017, 6:30-8:00 pm. Princess Royale Oceanfront Resort & Conference Center. 9100 Coastal Highway, Ocean City, MD, 21842. Telephone: 410-524-7777.
- Tuesday May 23, 2017, 6:30-8:00 pm. Congress Hall Hotel. 200 Congress Place, Cape May, NJ, 08204. Telephone: 888-944-1816.
- Wednesday May 24, 2017, 6:30-8:00 pm. University of Rhode Island Bay Campus, Corless Auditorium. 215 South Ferry Road, Narragansett, RI, 02882. Telephone: 401-874-6222.
- Wednesday May 25, 2017, 6:00-7:30 pm. Webinar. Audio and visual access available at http://mafmc.adobeconnect.com/chubscoping/. The webinar can also be accessed via phone by calling 1-800-832-0736, room #5068871.
Written comments are due by Thursday, May 31, 2017 and may be submitted by any of the following methods:
- Mail or Fax to Dr. Chris Moore, Executive Director, Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, 800 North State Street, Suite 201, Dover, DE, 19901; FAX: 302-674-5399.
- Email to email@example.com.
- Online at http://www.mafmc.org/comments/chub-amendment-scoping.
Please include “chub mackerel scoping comments” in the subject line if using email or fax, or on the outside of the envelope if submitting written comments.
Additional information and relevant background documents are available on the Council’s website at http://www.mafmc.org/actions/chub-mackerel-amendment.
Please direct any questions about the amendment to Julia Beaty (firstname.lastname@example.org, 302-526-5250).