NOAA Fisheries has approved and implemented 2014-2015 spiny dogfish catch limits and other measures through Amendment 3 to the Spiny Dogfish Fishery Management Plan. Click here to read the complete announcement (pdf).
The 2014-2105 trip limit is 5,000 lbs.
NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service has approved and implemented 2014-2015 spiny
dogfish specifications and Amendment 3 to the Spiny Dogfish Fishery Management Plan. The
approved measures for these two actions are described below.
Fishing Year 2014-2015 Spiny Dogfish Fishery Specifications
- 2014 Annual Catch Limit = 60.695 million lb
- 2014 Annual Coastwide Commercial Quota = 49.037 million lb
- 2014 Federal Spiny Dogfish Trip Limit = 5,000 lb
- 2015 Annual Catch Limit = 62.270 million lb
- 2015 Annual Coastwide Commercial Quota = 50.612 million lb
- 2015 Federal Spiny Dogfish Trip Limit = 5,000 lb
Please contact your state’s fisheries agency for information on other spiny dogfish restrictions,
seasons, or landing limits that may apply.
Final Amendment 3 Management Measures
- A new Research Set-Aside program in which up to 3% of the spiny dogfish commercial
- quota may be set aside to fund research;
- Updates to spiny dogfish Essential Fish Habitat definitions based on new data;
- Rollover of specifications (catch limits, quotas, trip limits) from one year to the next in
- the event of delayed rulemaking for new specifications; and
- Elimination of the seasonal allocation of the commercial quota. The Federal spiny
- dogfish commercial quota will now be managed on an annual, coastwide basis.
For more information on these actions and other spiny dogfish regulations please refer to: