May 31, 2018 – The following was released by NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office:
NOAA Fisheries announces management measures for the 2018 summer flounder, black sea bass, and scup recreational fisheries.
Summer Flounder 2018 Recreational Measures
We are continuing “conservation equivalency” for the summer flounder fishery. This means we have waived the federal recreational bag limit, minimum fish size, and fishing season, and fishermen are subject to regulations in the state where they land. Please contact your state for information on summer flounder rules.
Black Sea Bass 2018 Recreational Measures
We are implementing the following recreational black sea bass measures in federal waters:
- 12.5-inch total length minimum fish size
- Possession limit of 15 fish per person per trip
- Open season from May 15-December 31 (please note: there is no longer a closure period from September 22-October 21).
Scup 2018 Recreational Measures
The scup recreational fishery measures are the same as 2017:
- 9-inch total length minimum size
- Possession limit of 50 fish per person per trip
- Open all year
Please keep in mind that if the federal minimum size, possession limit, and/or season differ from the regulations for the state in which you will landing, you must follow the more restrictive regulations.
- Media: Contact Jennifer Goebel, Regional Office, (978) 281-9175
- Fishermen: Contact Emily Gilbert, Regional Office, (978) 281-9244
Click here to view the Environmental Assessment for this action