On July 11, 2018, the New England and Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Councils launched a new webpage that’s designed to serve as a repository for information relevant to offshore wind development activities in the Northeast Region. The Councils worked closely with NOAA Fisheries on this collaborative effort. The easy-to-navigate webpage provides one-stop-shopping for fishermen and other stakeholders who are searching for essential resources associated with offshore wind energy production. The page provides direct links to government agencies, offshore wind developers, fishery liaisons, Council-developed comments, and more.
Fishermen in the region are highly interested in better understanding the impacts of offshore wind development on both commercial and recreational fisheries. The New England and Mid-Atlantic Councils want to ensure that any potential impacts on Council-managed species and the marine environment are fully considered. In light of these factors, the Councils developed the offshore wind webpage as a tool to: (1) help facilitate the exchange of information; and (2) provide quick access to available resources.
Here’s the Webpage Address:
Webpage Information Includes Links to:
- The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), along with BOEM’s Fishing Industry Communication and Engagement page, BOEM’s State Activities page, and BOEM’s email updates registry;
- Northeast offshore wind developers;
- Mid-Atlantic and New England Council policies and comment letters on offshore wind issues;
- Project-specific information on fisheries and the marine environment relative to wind activities and other ocean uses;
- Mappers for Essential Fish Habitat and Endangered and Protected Resources, Regional Ocean Data Portals; and more.
Key Fishery Management Council and NOAA Fisheries Contacts for More Information
- Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council: Jessica Coakley, firstname.lastname@example.org, (302) 526-5252
- New England Fishery Management Council: Michelle Bachman, email@example.com, (978) 465-0492 ext. 120
- NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office: Sue Tuxbury, firstname.lastname@example.org, (978) 281-9176
- NOAA Fisheries Northeast Fisheries Science Center: Andy Lipsky, email@example.com, (401) 829-8286
BOEM’s Office of Renewable Energy Programs will hold an open house on April 10 and 11 during the April Council Meeting in Montauk, NY to gather feedback on recently proposed commercial offshore renewable energy projects and other related topics.
The New York State Energy and Research Development Authority will hold open houses during the upcoming August Council Meeting to provide fisheries stakeholders with an opportunity to learn about and provide input to the New York State Offshore Wind Master Plan.
BOEM will hold five public meetings in June to provide an overview of the EA findings regarding the proposed lease sale and Environmental Assessment (EA) for commercial wind energy leasing on 81,130 acres offshore New York.
The following summary highlights actions taken and issues considered at the Council’s meeting on October 6 – 8, 2015 in Philadelphia, PA.
BOEM Releases Final Report on Best Management Practices and Mitigation Measures for Offshore Wind Development
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management BOEM has announced that the final report regarding Atlantic offshore wind best management practices (BMPs) to reduce fishing impacts is now available on BOEM's website.