The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council Council and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission are soliciting public comments on the range of issues and information to be considered in the Comprehensive Summer Flounder Amendment. The amendment will involve a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Fishery Management Plan (FMP) related to summer flounder. The Council and Commission are particularly interested in comments on the following topics:
- Fishery management plan goals and objectives
- Quota allocation between the commercial and recreational fisheries
- Commercial management measures and strategies
- Recreational management measures and strategies
- Discards in the commercial and recreational fisheries
- Ecosystem, habitat, bycatch, and protected species issues
- Data collection requirements and protocols
Use the form below to submit written comments. Click here for additional details and information about scoping hearings.
The Scoping Document contains background information on summer flounder management and on issues that may be addressed in the amendment, as well as a description of the amendment process and timeline. Additional information and updates will be posted at www.mafmc.org/actions/summer-flounder-amendment.
Kirby Rootes-Murdy, FMP Coordinator, Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
Kiley Dancy, FMP Coordinator, Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council