The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council has scheduled public hearings in August to gather public input on several Amendments that may impact Mid-Atlantic and New England fishermen and other stakeholders.
WHO: South Atlantic Fishery Management Council
WHAT: Amendments being proposed by the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council that may impact Mid-Atlantic and New England fishermen/stakeholders
- Coastal Migratory Pelagics Framework Amendment 2 - will modify the quota and trip limit system for harvest of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in SC, GA and FL waters.
- Generic Accountability Measures & Dolphin Allocation Amendment (accountability measures for species and dolphin allocations) - The amendment considers changes in accountability measures for snapper grouper species and golden crab to determine when ACL overages need to be paid back and to bring consistency to accountability measures; and considers changes in how dolphin is allocated between commercial and recreational sectors.
- Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 7/Snapper Grouper Amendment 33 (transport of fillets from The Bahamas) - The amendment considers allowing recreational fishermen to bring dolphin and wahoo fillets from the Bahamas into the US EEZ as is currently allowed with snapper grouper species. The amendment also addresses options related to modifying how fishermen may bring snapper grouper fillets back from The Bahamas into the U.S. EEZ.
- For more information on each amendment, including amendment documents and presentations, visit: http://www.safmc.net/meetings/public-hearing-and-scoping-meeting-schedule
- For additional information, tune in to Q&A webinar sessions with Council staff on July 29, 2014
- Register for the webinars through this link: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/941303914
Webinar will cover:
- Generic AM/Dolphin Allocation Amendment
- Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 7/ Snapper Grouper Amendment 33
- CMP Framework Amendment 2
How to Get Involved:
Public comment is being accepted through 5:00PM on August 18, 2014 and can be submitted via:
- E-mail - email@example.com
- Fax - 843. 769.4520
- Mail - Send written comments to Robert Mahood, Executive Director, SAFMC, 4055 Faber Place Drive, Suite 201, N. Charleston, SC 29405.