There has been recent, growing interest in developing the Mid-Atlantic regions energy resources. The region possesses substantial amounts of energy in the form of oil and gas, wind power, liquefied natural gas, hydropower, among others. Development of these energy resources falls under the purview of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). However, the Council periodically provides input on energy activities that may impact the marine environment and the Council’s managed resources and fisheries.
This page provides information related to the Council's involvement in, and comments on, energy development activities. For up-to-date information about specific projects in the Mid-Atlantic, please visit BOEM's Atlantic Fishing Industry Communication and Engagement webpage as well as FERC’s website.
Council Comment Letters
- 2012 MAFMC Comment Letter on Draft Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PElS) to Evaluate Geologic and Geophysical (G&G) Activities in the Mid- and South Atlantic OCS Planning Areas
- 2014 MAFMC Comment Letter on Draft Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PElS) to Evaluate Geologic and Geophysical (G&G) Activities in the Mid- and South Atlantic OCS Planning Areas, 5/2/14
- 2016 MAFMC Comment Letter on Federal Consistency Determinations for the Spectrum Geo Inc. and GX Technology Corporation proposals to conduct two dimensional (2D) geophysical seismic surveys, 4/25/15
- 2016 MAFMC Comment Letter on the Environmental Assessment (EA) to consider the impacts of the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore New York Wind Energy Area (WEA), 6/28/16
- 2017 MAFMC Comment Letter to Secretary Zinke on Offshore Oil Development on the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf, 4/25/17
- 2017 MAFMC Comment Letter on Seismic Marine Mammal Incidental Harassment Authorization Requests, 7/5/17
- 2017 MAFMC Comment Letter on Development of a New National Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2019-2024, 8/7/17
- 2018 MAFMC Comment Letter on the development of a New National Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2019-2024, 3/9/18
- 2018 MAFMC Comment Letter to Secretary Zinke on Wind Energy Development in the Northeast Region, 3/19/18
- 2018 MAFMC Comment Letter to Secretary Ross on Wind Energy Development in the Northeast Region, 3/19/18
- 2018 MAFMC Comment Letter on the proposed “Renewable Energy Path Forward on the Atlantic,” 4/17/18
- MAFMC and NEFMC response to New York Bight Call for Information, 6/4/18
Council Habitat Policies - Offshore Energy
The Council has developed a series of policies that articulate its positions on a range of issues that impact fish habitat. Listed below are policies pertaining to offshore energy development. Additional information and a comprehensive list of policies are available at http://www.mafmc.org/habitat/.
Offshore Wind Workshop
In February 2014, the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council hosted a workshop focusing on best management practices (BMPs) and mitigation measures for offshore wind development in the Mid-Atlantic region. The workshop provided a forum for fishermen, fishery managers, decision-makers, and offshore wind experts to discuss and provide input on the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management's (BOEM) Draft Report on Fishing Best Management Practices and Mitigation Measures.