This Amendment to the Atlantic Mackerel, Squid, and Butterfish Fishery Management Plan considers measures to reduce latent (unused or minimally used) longfin and Illex squid permits and also measures to modify how Trimester 2 (May-August) of the longfin squid fishery is managed.
The objectives of this action are to:
- Consider the appropriate number of vessels in the directed longfin squid / Illex fisheries and design appropriate management measures for permitted vessels. The Council is considering this action because there is considerable latent effort in both fisheries - a relatively small portion of vessels with limited access (“moratorium”) squid permits account for the majority of landings in most years, and the Council is concerned that activation of latent permits in the squid fisheries could lead to excessive fishing effort (shortening seasons), and increased catch of non-target species.
- Re-evaluate the management of longfin squid in Trimester 2. The Council is considering this action because there is concern that the productivity of the longfin squid stock may be negatively impacted if excessive fishing in T2 does not allow sufficient spawning and/or egg hatching from egg mops.
Jason Didden - (302) 526-5254, email@example.com
The Council will hold nine public hearings in April and May 2017 to solicit public input on the Squid Amendment. The Council is also soliciting written comments on the amendment through 11:59 pm on May 18, 2017. Click here to view the hearing schedule and instructions for submitting written comments.
- Squid Amendment Public Hearing Document, April 2017
- Summary of Alternatives in the Squid Amendment
- Press Release: Mid-Atlantic Council to Hold Public Hearings for Squid Amendment
- February 2017 Council Meeting Materials - Draft Public Information Document
- December Council Meeting to Finalize Alternatives
- December Committee/AP Meeting to Develop Alternatives
- September AP Meeting to Develop Alternatives
- June 2016 Council Meeting with FMAT Summary
- June 2015 Meeting Materials With Scoping Hearing Summaries and Comments
- Squid Capacity Amendment Scoping Guide
- May 16, 2013 Longfin Squid Control Date Notice
- August 2, 2013 Illex Squid Control Date Notice
- 2015-2017 Specifications Environmental Assessment Package